“Ken Kramer’s About San Diego” has been honored with numerous Emmy and Golden Mike Awards, as well as recognition from teachers groups, Save Our Heritage Org, City Of San Diego, San Diego Historical Society, Society of Professional Journalists, San Diego Press Club, Radio Festival of New York, and The Voice of America. In proclaiming “Ken Kramer Day” in 2008, The County Board of Supervisors described the show as “…more valuable to San Diego History than any two or three of our local museums combined.”
I’m a fourth-generation native Californian who grew up in Pasadena, and graduated from San Diego State University in 1974.
Some facts on About San Diego
- First aired has a half-hour radio show on KPBS in 1972
- First aired as a television show on KPBS in 1979.
- Was broadcast as a morning and afternoon drive time radio segment on KSDO (KOGO) radio 7 days a week from 1984 to 1996, reaching more than 200,000 listeners a week.
- Has been a segment on NBC 7 San Diego since 1995.
- Was a half-hour program on NBC 7 San Diego from 2006 to 2009.
- Currently a half hour prime-time program on KPBS-TV since 2010.
- Has been described in a proclamation of The City Of San Diego as “greatly enriching our community’s character, giving every citizen a chance to take renewed pride in our heritage.